Monday, March 26, 2007

Barber Loyalty

I went to get a haircut today. This is not surprising, as I get my hair cut about every three weeks. If I had the time and the money, I'd go every 10 to 14 days. You see, I wear a flattop--a circa 1955 flattop, high and tight. And by week three, my flattop goes from flat to fluffy. I really don't like fluffy. This haircut was a must-do; I've worked past the barbershop's closing time for weeks, plus I worked Saturday, so the fluffy look was starting to get to me. But, there was a problem. Today was Monday, and my barber is off Mondays. Now, I take barber loyalty very seriously. In the 37 years I have had hair (that first one I was a cue ball), I probably have been inside less than 10 barbershops. Since I've had a choice in the matter, I could count 'em on one hand. And since I've had the flattop, I've gone to two barbershops--exactly one each in two different cities. When I moved back to my hometown, I asked a cadet from the local military school who did his flattop, and that was that. In my opinion, a man cheating on his barber is akin to cheating on his wife. So there is no option for a different shop. but on the rare occasions, like today, when Monday is the only day I can get in, and I'm fluffy, I'm in a predicament. You see, I picked my barber because he gives a good flattop. Period. Turns out, he's a good guy, too. That's a bonus. But if he were any thing short of an axe-murderer (seeing as how he's around my neck area with a razor every three weeks), I'd probably still use him. It used to be that when my regular guy, Bubba (yep, that's his name), was out, I'd use Miss Debra, one chair over. It took a little longer, and the quality was just a little off, but only my brother-in-law (who also wears a flattop and also uses Bubba) could tell. I'd run into him him a week or so later, his eyes would linger for just a second, and he'd say, "Monday, huh?" But Debra wasn't bad. Sadly, Miss Debra had a stroke a while back and retired. Now the only other guy in the shop who supposedly can cut a flattop is Roger. Now, Roger is a great guy, and a good barber. He used to have his own shop, and now he's semi-retired and rents the end chair from Bubba. He's slower than Christmas, but he gives a decent haircut. My middle son has decided that Roger is HIS barber, like Bubba is mine. I can respect that--the boy is growing up with barber loyalty. BUT... Roger's flattops are kinda round. A flattop without corners is basically just a buzz, and that's what I've got. Oh, well--at least it's no longer fluffy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I totally understand! This is so horrible but I haven't had a haircut since November because my lady is stateside and I am, well, not! She is awesome and I won't let anybody else cut my hair! It's hard to go from getting one every 6 weeks to getting one every 6 months. I need to get over it for the sake of my hair but I just don't trust anybody else;) Men have it so easy, Jeffrey just cuts his own hair.

MichaelPolutta said...

Even tougher is when you realize that your barber just isn't cutting it any more (forgive the pun). I'm sorta searching now. Ugh.

Meanwhile - the haircut is STILL all about low maintenance, baby! So long as my wife doesn't mind, it's staying SHORT! And I SO agree about fluffy. I just HATE that!

super Hubby said...

roger is a little too old to be holding a straight edge razor. Besides the fact that he gives a "round" top, every time he picks up that razor some of fight scenes from the movie "Kill Bill" flash before my eyes.

Lori Fitzgerald said...

Better a round flat-top than the windblown look of 1988