Tuesday, January 2, 2007

Happy New Year!

To quote Admiral Stockdale (anybody remember him from the '92 Perot campaign?), "Who am I, and what am I doing here?"

To answer the 2nd question first, I'm fulfilling a resolution. I have resolved in 2007 to undertake the discipline of journaling. Part of that is private, and will be an old-fashioned pen-and-ink affair kept on my bedside table. Maybe some of those entries will find their way here as I loosen up--we'll have to see. But I've gotten hooked on a few blogs, so I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring and see what happens. This will be a place for dumping the clutter from my brain, and a place to pontificate (I do SO love to do that). Who knows--maybe somebody will even read it!

As for the first question, I'm a Christian, a husband, a father, a teacher, a coach, a runner, and a nerd, and that's just for starters. When I began my teaching career, the powers-that-be asked if I wanted the sign outside my classroom to say "Mr." or "Coach." I puffed up my chest and declared, "I didn't spend all those years in graduate school to be called Coach." An older and wiser teacher and coach (who would become a dear friend) walked up and said, "You'll never regret being 'Coach.' It's the nicest thing a young man can call you besides 'Daddy.'" Ever since, I've been Coach Sal.

Pleased to meet you. Happy new year.

No comments: