Sunday, February 18, 2007

Eternal Birthdays

Last night, while at Winterfest in Gatlinburg, my oldest son, David, was baptized. We had talked about the possibility (briefly) before he left--I had rather figured that a kid on the verge of making that decision might find a good opportunity at a giant worship experience headlined by Jars of Clay. Sure enough, late last night we got the call, plus a couple of grainy photos via email taken by a cell phone. Just like his brother's baptism a few weeks ago, this awesome moment served to put an otherwise great weekend in perspective: there are great weekends and then there are GREAT WEEKENDS! This would have been a much-needed long weekend anyway, and a good time has been had by all (kids spent part of the weekend with a favorite Aunt, so parents spent that same part together and kidless). But only one thing happened in our family this weekend that is going to matter forever. As it works out, I didn't baptize either one of my boys, but strangely, I don't mind--I'm just thankful for the way both of them had the opportunity to obey the gospel in a special way.

4 comments:

MichaelPolutta said...

That's fantastic! Blessings to you all!

Anonymous said...

Yay, David! It's too bad we didn't get to be there to see it, but I am not complaining. (I did it away from my family too--on purpose--so I understand the feeling.)

Spanky said...

Outstanding news! Congrats to your entire family and what a blessing to God's family. Take care and God bless.

Spanky, Jennifer, and Tre

Anonymous said...

Congrats, I know that has to be exciting. I had the honor of baptizing Ben. I think its one of many reasons we are so close. I had a badly broken finger and my entire left arm up to my elbow was in a cast and a very large plastic bag, boy was it worth the effort though. Congrats again Larry, Ann and especially David.