Saturday, February 17, 2007

Ordering Your Private World, Week 5 & 6

Week 5 Notes:

Symptoms of Disorganization:

“The first step we may have to take is that of a ruthless self-appraisal about our habits of time use. Are we actually disorganized or not? Let us consider the traits of a disorganized life. Some of these symptoms may seem a bit ridiculous, even petty. But they are part of a larger picture that all fits together.” (p. 65)

When I am disorganized
My desk takes on a cluttered appearance (along with other horizontal surfaces).
My car is dirty, inside and out (or behind on regular maintenance).
I become aware of a diminution in my self-esteem (as I wonder if anyone else recognizes that I really don’t have it all together).
There are a series of forgotten appointments, telephone messages to which I have failed to respond, and deadlines I have begun to miss. (This is more than just having a day where things beyond our control de-rail us; it’s the process of things beginning to pile up).
I tend to invest my energies in unproductive tasks (including procrastination and the general loss of will to put forth my best effort).
I feel poorly about my work (know deep inside it’s not my best).
The quality of my intimate time with God suffers. (God gets taken for granted, or pushed to the side).
The quality of my other personal relationship suffer.
I don’t much like myself, my job, or much else about my world. (pp. 66-67)

There are plenty of books and systems that offer help with time management and organization. But beneath the tactics, gimmicks, and tricks are some fundamental principles, which can be found in the example of Jesus:

“All four gospel writers present to us a picture of Jesus under constant pressure, as He was pursued by friend and enemy alike…. But one never gets the feeling when studying the life of Christ that He ever hurried, that he ever had to play ‘catch up ball,’ or that he was ever taken by surprise.” (p. 69)

He clearly understood His mission. (To seek and save the lost, Luke 19:10)
He saw “interruptions” (like Bartimaeus or Zaccheus) through the lens of that mission.
He understood His own limits, and therefore spent regular time in solitude with the Father, as well as time in preparation for major events (as did John, Moses, etc.)
He set aside time for discipling the twelve.

Week 6 Notes:

Chapter 7: Recapturing My Time

MacDonald’s Laws of Unseized Time (pp. 74-79):
Unseized time flows toward my weaknesses. (It’s easier to “fake it” in my areas of strength while putting disproportionate effort into areas of weakness. One solution: delegation.)
Unseized time comes under the influence of dominant people in my world. (One solution: formal “budgeting” of time priorities.)
Unseized time surrenders to the demands of all emergencies. (Solutions: Ask the “why now?” question; also budgeting time.)
Unseized time gets invested in things that gain public acclamation. (Solution: Be proactive, not reactive; be called, not driven.)

NOTE: These “Laws” are related to the idea of called vs. driven motivation/

How Time Is Recaptured (pp. 79-85):
I must know my rhythms of maximum effectiveness. (Sleep and fatigue patterns, morning vs. evening person, rhythm of the week, month, and year)
I must have good criteria for choosing how to use my time. (Picking the “best” over the “good” is a function of being called and knowing your mission; the secret to saying “no” is a better “yes” to a higher priority)
I seize time and command it when I budget it far in advance (“put the big rocks in first”)

Time Budgets vs. Money Budgets:
“Give Every Dollar (Hour) A Name” (Dave Ramsey)
Shared Goals and Priorities Within Families/Marriages (The “budget committee”)
Necessities/ “Bills” before Discretionary Expenses
God gets the first-fruits
If you don’t save off the top, there will never be “left over”
Some people have more money than they can spend, but nobody has extra time!


Jesus’ Time Budget:
Luke 4:16
When he came to the village of Nazareth, his boyhood home, he went as usual to the synagogue on the Sabbath and stood up to read the Scriptures.

Luke 4:42-43
Early the next morning Jesus went out into the wilderness. The crowds searched everywhere for him, and when they finally found him, they begged him not to leave them. [43] But he replied, "I must preach the Good News of the Kingdom of God in other places, too, because that is why I was sent."

Luke 6:12
One day soon afterward Jesus went to a mountain to pray, and he prayed to God all night.

Luke 9:51
As the time drew near for his return to heaven, Jesus resolutely set out for Jerusalem.

Luke 19:5
When Jesus came by, he looked up at Zacchaeus and called him by name. "Zacchaeus!" he said. "Quick, come down! For I must be a guest in your home today."

No comments: