Sunday, January 6, 2008

Happy Meal

We went to the movies yesterday (for FREE--one of my students gave us free passes to the theater for Christmas), and on the way home, we succumbed to temptation and stopped for a snack at McDonalds. It was all dollar-menu stuff, but man, was it bad... and good, at the same time. The double-cheeseburgers were just the right combo of greasy and melty-cheesy, and the fries were hot and had just the right amount of salt. It was kid-food--comfortable, quick, and completely lacking in nutritional value. I went to the Mickey-D's website and found that what I had for this SNACK logged in at 1040 calories, 43 total grams of fat, 15 grams of saturated fat, 7 grams of trans fats, 80 mg of cholesterol, and 1380 mg of sodium. Ouch! I'm not sure if I'm bragging or complaining about this--it really hit the spot, taste-wise. But I know in my heart of hearts it was just an awful health choice. We don't do this often, but when we do, I always feel these same mixed emotions. And worse, it'll be another 3 weeks or so before I get a chance to do penance by running some of it off!

On another note, school starts back for all the Sal family tomorrow morning, so it's back to the grind. Posting will likely get a little lighter once I have a real job wanting 9-10 hours of each day again. But the good news is that tomorrow afternoon I see the doc and supposedly will be released from my boot!

2 comments:

super Hubby said...

You better watch out!!! Your waist size might balloon up to a 29 or 30 if you keep eating like that!

MichaelPolutta said...

You can imagine how Lauren has become the trans-fat Nazi after my heart attack. She makes disparaging comments at EVERY McD we pass when we're in the car. Every one.