Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Sunday Naps

If you want me between about 1 and 4 PM on Sundays, don't call. Or really, call all you want, but you're going to voice mail--because I'm taking my weekly nap. And I don't care if it's important. Dead relative? Still gonna be dead in a couple of hours. Roof caving in? If it's bad enough, it'll wake me up. Sunday naps are more than tradition in my house--they border on the sacramental. My grandparents took naps. My parents took naps. Someday (although they deny it to the rooftops now) my children will all nap, and will insist their children "nap" (or at least stay quiet for the first hour), as well. When I was a kid, I swore I would never, never waste a whole beautiful weekend afternoon sleeping. But now, I wish I could have back all the naps I didn't take then! And even better is a Sunday when it clouds over and rains just a little... pure sleepy bliss!

7 comments:

bekster said...

Ditto that. Sunday naps are the best (although I didn't like them when I was a kid either), especially after roast...

C. S. Fox said...

What?
Why just Sunday's?
Any day I don't have to work is a good day for a nap.
I even sometimes take naps, mostly by accident, after work about 6:30-7:15ish....

bekster said...

No, Sal is right, there is a definite difference on Sundays.

MichaelPolutta said...

I concur. A distinctive difference with the Sunday nap. I theorize it is the fatigue post-encounter-with-God that makes that nap so unique.

Tommy said...

The bed definately feels better on a Sunday afternoon than it does during the week. I know I sleep better on Sunday afternoons than I usually do at night.

Goode Design said...

Dunno. My wife could catch a nap anytime of the week and enjoy it... I'm definitely pro-Sunday naps. Granted, there are some that might say that I was Anti-Saturday naps... but that is absolutely not the case.

Goode Design said...

Sal: quick... read the latest post on my blog... i'd LOVE to stir a good discussion about this last topic... it's a bout PBC. Goode Advice